Follow on Bloglovin

Welcome to my place in the blogosphere!
feel free to explore the Flight Deck and check out my books and website.
Then fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and let's chat awhile!
I hope you'll stop by again for guest authors and spotlights from time to time.

Beloved Enemy joined Starquest and Children of the Mist to continue the Destiny Trilogy and I'm thrilled to announce was shortlisted for the R.N.A. RoNA Awards 2017, awarded 2nd Runner up in the RONE Awards 2017 and was the winner in the SF/Fantasy category of the 'Best Banter Contest'.

Saturday 10 June 2017

WeWriWa - Another excerpt from Starquest - what is she up to?


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warrior and 8 Sentence Sunday, the weekly hop for everyone who loves to read and write!

Writers share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet on Sunday each week. Be sure to visit the other writers - they're listed Below:

Weekend Writing Warriors for Eight Sentence Sunday

Snippet Sunday Facebook Group

It's the weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! We've got a variety of genres and talented writers just waiting for you to come sample their work.
(And I'm also taking part in the SFR Brigade monthly 'Showcase' and you can see my post below if you'd care to visit.)

Come read one, or all! If you'd to share your own 8-10 sentence snippet, whether published or not, follow the link and sign up. It's a great community to be a part of! 

I'm currently posting snippets from Starquest, Volume 1 in the Destiny Trilogy . Jestine Darnell has been rescued from her crippled starship by the crew of the Destiny and is gradually finding her place as one of the crew. However, she has a secret, a secret she needs to confess to the Commander Jon Quinlan, before KerryMarchant, the ship's second in command voices the suspicions she knows he harbors.

The ship cruised under the control of the main computer, and as so often seemed to happen, she found herself alone on the flight deck with Kerry. Was it coincidence, or was he keeping an eye on her--why else would he be working while everyone else enjoyed their leisure time?

He sat nearby, at one of the consoles, checking the coordinates for the next jump through hyperspace.  This would bring them to a previously unexplored sector of space, and the planet Dakkon. Without making it obvious she was looking at him, she watched as he ran his long, slim fingers over Metisa's configuration panels. 
Although the computer received and relayed most of its information verbally, there were certain functions for which Common Universal had its limitations as a computer language.

Kerry’s hands fascinated her--she felt such hands should belong to an artist or a musician, not to this stern, logical man who seemed interested only in the ship and its computers. She turned her attention back to the observation panel and came to a decision. She’d waited long enough to find the right moment to tell Jon about Phidia, and to confess to taking the blaster. She’d tried to return it, but that had proven more difficult than stealing it in the first place.

You can read the previous snippet HERE

Purchase here - Destiny Trilogy
(All three books can be read as 'standalones')



(Oh and I'm taking part in the SF Brigade Showcase this month too see the post below!)




For insider news and subscriber-only info, subscribe to my occasional Newsletter. I promise not to spam and your in-box will only see an email from me every 3 or 4 months or so - unless of course I have something really Newsworthy to share! http://madmimi.com/signups/196357/join

28 comments:

  1. Great details illustrating him and the ship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe piloting the ship actually requires artist hands and who know, he might paint in his free time when he is not keeping an eye on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you're right Linda! I think Jess was a bit bemused because he seems to her to be rather cold and unfeeling, yet he has these sensitive hands ...

      Delete
  3. I can sense her admiration of the man. I wonder how he'll react when she confesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he's going to be very amused! Thanks for stopping by, Jessica.

      Delete
  4. He definitely makes a sympathetic impression. Hopefully he reacts well to her confession!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina - I think she's hoping that too!

      Delete
  5. Oh no! When she confesses, I think everything is going to change. Good snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very intriguing little snippet about the theft, Hywela. Almost overlook-able but obviously important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim - you're right, she had a very good reason for stealing the gun - and it had nothing to do with petty theft!

      Delete
  7. Well done. The next thing is to watch his reception to her news. Maybe not what she expects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charmaine - I think you might be right! Thank so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. You're up for both a RoNa and a RONE? I hope you can keep them straight.

    I can't quite say I wish you win the RONE since I'm also a finalist for Escapee, but if I don't win I hope you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed - actually I didn't get the RoNa, that was back in March, but it was a lovely awards ceremony!
      I noticed you were up for a RONE too - thanks for the good wishes and right back at you - I hope you win too, if I don't!

      Delete
  9. Love the way you set the scene at the same time as we get a sense of her feelings toward him. Good luck on your award nomination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth - both for your kind comment and for the good wishes!

      Delete
  10. I wonder what tasks she's give those fingers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Kim, I think your imagination's working overetime! :) (Perhaps hers is too!)

      Delete
  11. Interesting. I enjoyed thee contemplative tone and the way she reaches her decision without consciously pondering it. Excellent excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great description. Love that returning the blaster is proving harder than having stolen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks P.T. - yes, and her feelings of guilt don't make it any easier! :)

      Delete
  13. Loved the detail in this snippet. Hands can tell so much about a person. She'd better get rid of that pistol soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Diane, yes, I agree, hands can be almost as much an indication of character, as eyes I think. Yes - she's starting to realise she made a big mistakewhen she stole that weapon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting snippet. Great visual of the deck. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for commenting - I LOVE comments and value each and every one.
(Apart from spammers of course, who WILL be moderated, reported and deleted .)